Ubuntu Twinview Maximizing Windows problem

This is more of a note-to-self. I had a problem in my recent upgrade to the latest Ubuntu in that my two monitors, when set to ‘twinview’ meant that the panels and task bars, and maximized windows spanned both monitors. What you really want is for these to be able to be moved from one monitor to the other, but when you maximize them they stay maximized in only one monitor.

The solution that I guessed might work, and it turned out did, was to comment out the ‘metamodes’ option in the Screen section of my xorg.conf. I.e.:


Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
#Option "metamodes" "CRT-0: 1280x1024 +0+0, CRT-1: 1280x1024 +1280+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

That sorted out the problem as soon as I logged back in again.

Thunderbird Calendar Automatic Export

Previously I wrote about thunderbird, davmail, exchange and exporting to google calendar and my system was setup and working fine. Then I upgraded (full-wipe and install) to the latest Ubuntu operating system and I had to set things up again. Part of the problem was that the thunderbird Automatic Export add-on wouldn’t work with the new version of thunderbird. While I know sometimes changes of software mean that the plugin will no longer function, I didn’t think this might be a problem with Automatic Export… I mean all it does is take the calendar you’ve set and export it which hopefully isn’t too reliant on the way the program itself works. Hopefully.

It turned out that if I unzipped the thunderbird plugin package available from Automatic Export on Mozilla add-ons site then I was able to edit the install.rdf file which tells thunderbird about the package. When I did I found that it had a em:maxVersion attribute and all I did was change that to be far past the current version. (Note: there were two of these, I changed both since I wasn’t sure which applied to what.) Zipping the file back up again and renaming to .xpi was all that was needed for a successful install.

Everything now working again perfectly.